10 September 2011

Double Trouble

I was in a book shop today just browsing the shelves - not really looking to buy anything, just trying to waste some time - when I noticed something.

Something shocking.


Two different books.

By two different authors.

With. The. Same. Cover!


These are the two novels:




Now, yes, I do realise that the covers are not exactly the same. But the main focal point is the same. Fleeing girl in a red dress and long brown hair. The only things that are different is the photo-shopped background and the font.

But, what I wonder is, 'Do these authors know that there is another novel, released at around the same time, with a very similar cover?' because I don't think they do.

If I were an author and this happened to me, I would be pissed. 

Here are a few reasons why:
  1. If potential buyers of one of either of these novel's are in a great rush, they may do the same thing as me. Scan shelves. Glance cover of required novel. Grab novel. Buy. Not look at book until you get home.
    Now see, if I was wanting to buy either one of these, I may mistakenly the other off these novels in my haste. This resulting in an unhappy costumer, one author down a sale, and the other  annoyed that it wasn't their novel that the customer wanted.
  2. You've gone through all the drama of writing and novel - the process of coming up with a good story line, the trouble of finding a publishing company that likes it and wants to publish it, and the never ending rewrites and editing that follows.
    Then you leave your baby in the hands of the publishing company for the final stages, which includes the cover art, only to have them take away a part of it that make it unique. 
These novels are about completely different things, their  story-lines sit of parallel tracks. Of the billions of pictures available to use, I just cannot understand why they would use the same picture.


Shame on you.


4 comments :

  1. I saw both those books a couple of weeks ago and thought the exact same thing! The thing I'm most annoyed about is the change of cover for The Goddess Test because the American cover is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, I think I like the Australian cover better than the American one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's very shameful. If I were an author and I saw my book had a similar/same image on the cover as another I was be pissed too.
    Were they sitting close together in the shop?
    I just don't understand it? Wouldn't publishers want a book to look different from another book? The author yeah, but the publishers are getting money from the book sales too and to have it look similar to another book...
    Maybe we're just looking too far into it?
    But it is disappointing, I like THIS Goddess Test cover...
    Good eye there Nae!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book shelves were arranged in alphabetical order and the two book were at the same end but one a couple shelves lower than the other. But they were close enough together to make me think some one had just put the book back in the wrong place at first glance.

    I don't think the publishers would want to have the same cover as another book, I think that they just didn't do enough research and didn't release that there is another book with a similar cover.

    And perhaps we are look a little too far into this Princess Bella Edward, but I still think it is a stupid think to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy reading,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 62 ) Adventure ( 3 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 42 ) Aussie Author ( 21 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 98 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 183 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 15 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 21 ) Contemporary ( 195 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 146 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 142 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 2 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 20 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 295 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 21 ) Hachette Australia ( 2 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 4 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 24 ) LGBTQ+ ( 6 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 47 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 4 ) Mythology ( 2 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 170 ) New Adult College Romance ( 2 ) Paranormal ( 56 ) Paranormal Romance ( 17 ) Playlist ( 4 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 113 ) Review Request ( 21 ) Romance ( 227 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 2 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 11 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 15 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Superheroes ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 11 ) Teaser ( 37 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 5 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 113 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )