30 November 2011

Review: The Grip: A Horror Short Story by Griffin Hayes



The Grip: A Horror Short Story
Griffin Hayes

Published October 26th 2011

Lt. Cready and Engineer Andreas Chavez have been chosen to man a claustrophobic outpost on the outer edge of the solar system. After a year and a half with no word from Earth, nerves become frayed and tensions mount as Cready begins to suspect that his friend isn't entirely human.

My Review

The Grip is a short novella about Cready, Captain of an early warning outpost situated on the far outskirts of the universe in the distant future. His only company in the small box-like station that has been his home for over a year, are Chavez and the in house automated computer

Personally, the computer is my favourite character. Though she plays a crucial role in the story, she is usually sidelined by the other, more physical, characters. The first time that we meet her, she is messing with Cready.
A detached female voice spoke to him. Proximity alert, Lieutenant Cready.
'I’m a captain, goddammit,' he shouted back."
Proximity alert, Lieutenant Cready.
Cready gritted his teeth.
Hehe, I had a good ol' chuckle when I read that. I mean, how epic is a automated computer with a sense of humour? I then loved the flip that she made to a calm and parental figure.
Cready grabbed the chair by the seat and raised it over his head. 'I’m warning you!' Spittle flew from his lip.
Put the chair down, Captain Cready.
Cready hesitated.
Please.
The chair sagged.
Yes. That’s it. Lay it down. Can’t we talk like two rational beings?
'Being! There’s nothing ‘being’ about you!'
Of course, I like Cready, too - how could I like a book, and not like the main character? Hayes does an excellent job of giving him depth and personality in such a short amount of words, making Cready's thoughts and emotions feel like my own.

Without Chavez, this novel would be without a plot. He doesn't have all too much time in the spot light, with it focusing on Cready, but his time there is important and thought provoking.

Hayes does an excellent job of presenting the nessary background information in an interesting and subtle way that doesn't hinder the pace of the story. I found myself flying through the limited amount of pages, wondering where Hayes was leading me, with the ending leaving me hungry for more.

The Grip is a quick read with a thrilling story line with a bit of violence and gore thrown in for good measure. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes si-fi novel.


5 out of 5

3 comments :

  1. What a thoughtful and well written review! I'm so happy you enjoyed The Grip. Yes, it's a bit gory and a touch disturbing, but that was how it played out in my mind's eye. I feel my job as a writer is to plant myself in a scene like a fly on a wall and report back what I'm seeing.

    Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Don't get me wrong I liked the gore, I just haven't read anything before that is written like this. It is a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!! Your review is very well written! I actually never heard of this book, but sounds interesting! =)

    Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy Blogging,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 44 ) Adventure ( 2 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 39 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 91 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 159 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 14 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 16 ) Contemporary ( 176 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 130 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 131 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 17 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 264 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 18 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 23 ) LGBTQ+ ( 4 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 46 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 3 ) Mythology ( 1 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 157 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 52 ) Paranormal Romance ( 16 ) Playlist ( 2 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 108 ) Review Request ( 21 ) Romance ( 190 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 1 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 10 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 14 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 9 ) Teaser ( 30 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 3 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 100 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )