3 March 2012

Review: Forever by Maggie Stiefvater


Forever
Maggie Stiefvater

The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3

Published July 12th 2012

then.
When Sam met Grace, he was a wolf and she was a girl. Eventually he found a way to become a boy, and their loved moved from curious distance to the intense closeness of shared lives.

now.
That should have been the end of their story. But Grace was not meant to stay human. Now she is the wolf. And the wolves of Mercy Falls are about to be killed in one final, spectacular hunt.

forever.
Sam would do anything for Grace. But can one boy and one love really change a hostile, predatory world? The past, the present, and the future are about to collide in one pure moment--a moment of death or life, farewell or forever.

My Review

I'd like to start off by saying that I love the characters in these novels. Stiefvater does an excellent job of character building and writing believable and moving dialogue between characters.

I love the way that she switches between the main characters, enabling the reader to get to know all their inner thoughts and to know exactly what they thought about the other characters without having to read between the lines too much. If she hadn't written the novels this way, you would miss out on all the really funny thoughts, that are just not meant to be said aloud. Here is one of my favourites from Sam:
I was trying to decide if you still had free will as a wolf. If I was a terrible person for planning to drug my girlfriend and drag her back to my house to keep in the basement.
It is one of the few thoughts that Sam has that isn't purely meaningful and mature. Don't get me wrong, that is one of my favourite qualities about him. It makes for a nice contrast the spiteful Isabelle, logically thinking Grace, bitchy Shelby, and the weird and wacky Cole.

Now, Cole, I must say, is my favourite character. He added a new dynamic to these novels when he was first introduced in Linger. His never ending wit is something to even and annoy you with such comments like these:
Cole made a hissing sound. "Are you inside yet? God bless America and all her sons. What is taking you so long?"
The front door was locked. "Here, talk to Grace"
"Mommy isn't going to give a different answer than Daddy," Cole said, but I handed her the phone anyway.


and

Suddenly, Shelby started, at the same time that we heard Cole's voice across the backyard: "Clear off, you psychotic bitch!"
She slid off into the darkness as the back door slammed.
"Thanks, Cole," I said. "That was incredibly subtle."
"That," replied Cole, "is one of my finest traits."
Those bits just cracked me right up and I thought, 'This guy doesn't have a serious bone is his body.' Then Stiefvater throws us a curve ball with this:
"Beneath me, the bed tipped as Cole edged closer. I felt him lean over me. His breath, warm and measured, hit my cheek. Two breaths.
Three. Four.
I didnt know what I wanted. Then I heard him stop breathing, and a second later, I felt his lips on my mouth.
It wasnt the sort of kiss I'd had with anyone before. This kiss was so soft it was like a memory of a kiss, so careful on my lips that it was like someone running his fingers along them. My mouth parted and stilled; it was so quite, a whisper, not a shout. Cole's hand touched my neck, thumb pressed into the skin next to my jaw. It wasn't a touch that said I want more. It was a touch that said I want this.
It was all completely soundless. I didnt think either of us was breathing.
Cole sat back up, slowly, and I opened my eyes. His expression, as ever, was blank the face he wore when something mattered.
He said, "That's how I would kiss you, if I loved you"
And at that point my minds screaming, 'OMG! He has a sweet side!' - although he still manages to make it witty by adding that 'if' in there.

The Wolves of Mercy Falls is a great, entertaining, light read that passes the hours quickly. I recommend this for anyone who likes a sweet love story with a twist of paranormal.


4 out of 5

1 comment :

  1. You have some really great books there.
    I am reviewing both. I will come back and let you know what I thought. I have followed you as WTF Are You Reading?
    You can visit me here: http://wtfareyoureading.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy Blogging,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 44 ) Adventure ( 2 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 39 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 91 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 159 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 14 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 16 ) Contemporary ( 176 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 130 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 131 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 17 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 264 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 18 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 23 ) LGBTQ+ ( 4 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 46 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 3 ) Mythology ( 1 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 157 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 52 ) Paranormal Romance ( 16 ) Playlist ( 2 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 108 ) Review Request ( 21 ) Romance ( 190 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 1 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 10 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 14 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 9 ) Teaser ( 30 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 3 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 100 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )