6 April 2012

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally


Catching Jordan
Miranda Kenneally

Hundred Oaks

Published December 1st 2011

Purchase: Amazon | Book Depository
What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out?

Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.

My Review

I absolutely LOVE this book! Since a got this book a couple of months ago, I have read it 4 times, falling in love the the characters over and over again.

Catching Jordan is about Jordan Woods, captain of the Hundred Oaks football team - but Jordan is not your average star quarterback. Jordan is a girl. In the world of football, being a girl is the hardest this you could be, so she fights hard to make sure that she never shows weakness. That means not crying, wearing makeup, dressing in fitted clothing - anything that associates her with the female that she is. But that resolve becomes so much harder with the arrival of Ty. He's the first boy that Jordan has ever taken any interest in, but he's the boy she won't let herself have. Jordan has made rules for herself, never lose focus and never, ever date a team mate. Not only does the stunning Ty join her team and make her mind go to mush and her knees go weak - Ty's position is quarterback.

When I read the blurb, I worried that I might get bored or confused by football terms and lingo, but I needn't of worried. Kenneally does a excellent job for making football bearable and even interesting and funny. I think that it is the humour in Catching Jordan that keeps me coming back again and again. That and the added cuteness and sweetness to the character relationships - those moments when warm feeling in your stomach that spreads to your finger tips and makes you feel all gooie on the inside (in a good way!).

What? You don't take my word for it? Well, here are some of my favourite sections and quote from the book that range on funny to insightful to adorable.

When I open my eyes for a second time, I see Coach staring at us, pulling off his cap and scratching his head. He focuses on his clipboard but looks up at us again several times before finally going back into the school. This must be the weirdest thing a football coach has ever seen: two quarterbacks making out.

Love hurts worse than getting slammed by a 250-pound linebacker.

“I think JJ will tell me that he loves me soon," Lacey says to Kristen.
"He definitely will," Kristen says. "I can tell by the way he looks at you."
I force myself to cough so I don't laugh. JJ stares at Lacey the way he stares at every one of the Titans' cheerleaders. It's the same way he stares at cheese fries, for that matter.

“Shut up!" Henry says, "You're going to wake up Jerry Rice."
"Jerry Rice?" Carter says, covering his mouth with a hand. I don't think I've ever seen Carter laugh so hard.
"Carter, would you like to be the godfather?" Henry asks. "You know, in case anything happens to me and Woods this week?"
"Charming," Carter says. "I''d be honored. Does JJ get to be godmother?"
"Obviously," I say.
"Can I hold Jerry Rice?" JJ asks. "He''s so cute."
"No way, man," I reply. "I don't want to wake that thing up before practice. We'll be late if we have to feed it."
"What does it eat?" Carter asks.
"I have to breast-feed, cause I'm the mom," Henry says, continuing to push the stroller toward the locker room.
"Actually," I say, "It eats a metal rod, made out of, like, lead. So basically, we're learning how to poison babies."
"Radical," JJ says as we approach the gym.

But what happens when you don't find that right person? Do you just spend the rest of your life in a relationship where the conversation isn't great, everything isn't perfect, but it is nice and sweet?

When unrequited love is the most expensive thing on the menu, sometimes you settle for the daily special.

Catching Jordan fun and light read that you can knock over in a couple of hours, but will have you clinging to its world and characters long after you've put the book down. Keep an eye out for Miranda Kenneally's next book Stealing Parker, a companion novel to Catching Jordan.


5 out of 5

2 comments :

  1. I absolutely loved CATCHING JORDAN and cannot wait for the companion novel. Thanks for sharing these quotes, they just made smile and laugh again... such a wonderful book! I'm glad you enjoyed it, too. Great review!

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked this up! So glad you liked it! I can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy reading,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 62 ) Adventure ( 3 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 42 ) Aussie Author ( 21 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 98 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 183 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 15 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 21 ) Contemporary ( 195 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 146 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 142 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 2 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 20 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 295 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 21 ) Hachette Australia ( 2 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 4 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 24 ) LGBTQ+ ( 6 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 47 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 4 ) Mythology ( 2 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 170 ) New Adult College Romance ( 2 ) Paranormal ( 56 ) Paranormal Romance ( 17 ) Playlist ( 4 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 113 ) Review Request ( 21 ) Romance ( 227 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 2 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 11 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 15 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Superheroes ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 11 ) Teaser ( 37 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 5 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 113 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )