15 September 2012

Inside the Author’s Head: Tellulah Darling


Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls
by Tellulah Darling

Published October 17th 2012

Purchase: Amazon

Why the hell can’t chicks be more like guys?

That question plagues high school senior Sam Cruz. Sam is perfectly happy being a player. He just wishes girls wouldn’t change the game from sex to relationships. It makes him look like an asshole. But when Sam’s best friend, Ally Klinger, gets dumped, she begs him to transform her into someone who can screw around then screw off. No risk of heartbreak that way. It’s Sam’s chance to create the perfect female AND cheer up his best friend. Armed with Sam’s Three Step Guide to Backseat Success, Ally gets the game better than Sam thought she would and before long, Sam has his wish: the female version of himself. Too bad it’s driving him nuts.

Told from Sam’s and Ally's alternating POVs, Sam Cruz’s Infallible Guide to Getting Girls is a fast-paced romantic comedy that follows these teens as they navigate the minefield of sex, love, and friendship.

This book contains strong language, drinking, euphemisms, and lots of “bow chicka wow wow.”
Feel free to check out my review!

About the Author

Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Website | YouTube
Tellulah Darling
noun

1. YA Novelist
2. Alter ego of professional screenwriter and instructor
3. Sassy minx

Geeks out over: cool tech.
Squees for: great storytelling.
Delights in: fabulous conversation.
Writes about: where love meets comedy, flavored with pop culture. Awkwardness ensues.

The Making of Sam and Ally

Some Spoilers: Read ahead at your own risk!


It all started with the phrase “Why the Hell can’t chicks be more like guys?” A riff on the whole My Fair Lady thing. Or Frankenstein, depending on what you think about the real nature of Henry Higgins and Eliza Doolittle’s relationship.

And then, because if I don’t torture my characters, I haven’t really done my job, I knew that whoever was asking that silly question about girls, had to be best friends with, of course, a girl. A girl that he didn’t really see as a girl but with whom he had the best relationship.

And I wondered “what kind of shake up did it take for two good friends—who could be so great together—to start to see other in a new way?”

So all that was my jumping off point. From there I began to figure out who I wanted Sam and Ally to be. I knew that I wanted both of them to have these coping mechanisms that they were using to keep themselves happy. Or so they thought. Sam, having lost his mom, keeps himself safe by never having a relationship. I remember a friend of mine being the same way. Better to get out first, right? Sam has probably never questioned his confidence because he’s never had it challenged. He built this wall up, stuffed all his vulnerability behind it, and kept himself untouchable.

Ally doesn’t risk herself either. She’s the smart kid who doesn’t really have to work that hard. She knows she’ll get into whichever university she wants. Academia is a simple box for her. So is Jeremy. Here is a guy that she initially liked for his brains. Not a bad thing. But do you ever get the sense that  Ally was made vulnerable at all in this relationship until the moment she gets dumped? Not really. Even though she was second fiddle in the relationship, I don’t think it truly mattered that much at the time because in the scheme of things, Jeremy didn’t mean that much.

Okay, confession. That was a relationship I had. Looking back, I let him kind of direct the relationship, was shocked when I got dumped, and then pretty quickly realized that I missed the idea of him more than him. But it did help me to figure out what I didn’t want from a relationship.

Eventually…

In terms of the story, though, I needed to put Sam and Ally through a major shake up. And that meant that the relationship that had to be on the line was the only one that either had truly invested themselves in.

Their friendship with each other.

And yes, I chose to get them naked. Because I felt that in order to genuinely have them see each other in a new way, it would take a sexual connection. It was the only kind of connection they didn’t already have with each other. I truly believed that this was where my characters needed to go.

One thing I get asked is, given the sex, why did I make Sam and Ally teens? Simple really. Emotionally, they are teens. They’re struggling with issues of empowerment, connection, and identity that I remember being pretty pervasive for me at that age.

But more specifically, this came out of a very personal experience from my own adolescence. I was the girl who had really great friendships with guys but rarely became the object of interest. And I couldn’t figure that out. It seemed like me and my friends were all equally normal cute girls, so what made some of them so sought after and me the one that guys wanted to hang out with, joke with, and talk with? I remember thinking that maybe if I looked a certain way…

I’m happy that Ally realizes that that isn’t the answer to her problems. She has a ton more self-‐awareness than I ever did. And happily, in the end, a lot more confidence. And even though Sam has the biggest transformation in terms of relationships—it’s his voice that starts and ends this book, I think I’m proudest of where Ally comes to. That she has to be happy in her own skin. On her own two feet. That having that great boy love her can be the icing, but she herself has to be the fabulous, geekilicious cake.

I’m hoping that the issues that these two struggle with will feel universal to you, my readers. That all of you who pick up the book will be able to identify with Sam and Ally and their journey.

But more than anything, I hope that in the end, I leave you laughing and loving Sam and Ally as much as I do.


Happy reading!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy Blogging,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 32 ) Adventure ( 1 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 37 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 87 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 148 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 13 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 11 ) Contemporary ( 166 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 124 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 26 ) Excerpt ( 126 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 17 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 250 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 18 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 22 ) LGBTQ+ ( 3 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 45 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 3 ) Mythology ( 1 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 151 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 52 ) Paranormal Romance ( 16 ) Playlist ( 2 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 18 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 102 ) Review Request ( 19 ) Romance ( 173 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 1 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 9 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 14 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 7 ) Teaser ( 24 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 3 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 3 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 95 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )