15 January 2013

Review: Hooked by Liz Fichera


Hooked
Liz Fichera

Hooked #1

Coming January 31st 2013

Purchase: Amazon
GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.

When Native American Fredericka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done.

But Fred’s presence on the team isn't exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...
A big THANK YOU to Liz for sending me my first ever  physical ARC to read and review!

My Review

I was very excited to read this book because it's not very often that you come across a YA novel about golf, a family hobby in my home. So I was super excited to get an ARC of this so I could share my thoughts with you!

I liked the integration of the natives and westerners within the story. I personally new very little about the Native Americas largely due to the fact that I live in Australia, but I found the subtle cultural lesson interesting and informative. I felt that I really understood the limitations and social constraints that Fred, Ryan and the guys felt, not just because Fred is a girl on a men's golf team, but because she has a difference culture and appearance.

The way the novel is written, switching between Fred and Ryan with each chapter really allows you, as the reader, to connect with each character. I liked the added unique fonts for Fred and Ryan, I felt that it showed something about their character that you otherwise wouldn't know.

Fred and Ryan didn't seem like a very good match to me at the beginning of the novel, mainly for treating Fred badly simply because she had the misfortune of being a better golfer than the arrogant Seth. I thought that it was cowardly of him to side with Seth just because he's too scared to be his own person. But thankfully, he grows a set and begins to think for himself. I love Fred. She's the kind of girl that seems timid and shy, but underlying that is a river of confidence in what she believes in and loves. I think, in the end, they balance on another out and share the things that matter most - love for one another and, of course, golf. ^_^

Now I can't write this review without mentioning the psychopathy that is Seth and why I love him. Why would I love a psychopath? Well, in real life, I undoubtedly wouldn't. To be honest, if I was Fred I would've whacked him across the head with a three iron. But I love what his character brings to the story. As Ryan's best friend and the guy that got kicked to make room for Fred, he has a reason to be disgruntled, especially when Ryan to choose Fred over him. In a way he acts as a catalyst that sparks and adds kindle to the relationship between Ryan and Fred. It's his petty pranks towards Fred that causes Ryan to feel guilty and want to atone for just standing idly by and bringing them together against a common enemy, Seth. So that's why I love him, because without him, there would be no story.

Hooked is a sweet story about love, jealousy and the acceptation of differences. Liz Fichera uses a unique voice that connects and engages the reader resulting in a book that you don't want to put down.


4 out of 5

3 comments :

  1. Sounds like a great book. I've been dying to read it and I love that the two have their own fonts. I wonder if that shows up on the ebooks or not.
    Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fairly certain that the ebook has the different fonts... It really adds to the storyline.

      Delete
  2. This plot looks awesome! I love sports romance and the fact that the heroine is Native American sounds quite interesting. Adding to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy Blogging,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 32 ) Adventure ( 1 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 37 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 86 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 148 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 13 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 11 ) Contemporary ( 165 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 124 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 26 ) Excerpt ( 126 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 17 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 249 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 17 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 22 ) LGBTQ+ ( 3 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 45 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 3 ) Mythology ( 1 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 151 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 52 ) Paranormal Romance ( 16 ) Playlist ( 2 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 18 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 102 ) Review Request ( 19 ) Romance ( 173 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 1 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 9 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 14 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 7 ) Teaser ( 24 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 3 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 3 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 94 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )