5 February 2014

Review: Trying Not to Love You by Megan Smith


Trying Not to Love You
Megan Smith

Love #1

Published May 17th 2013

MacKenzie Cahill has dealt with overbearing and overprotective brothers her entire life, making it near impossible to enjoy her teenage years. Having a boyfriend was practically impossible until she met a guy that wasn't afraid to stand up to them - Dominic. He was sweet, thoughtful, and everything MacKenzie ever wanted in a man.

But when they go away to college at Old Dominion University, MacKenzie sees a whole new side of Dominic and begins to wonder if he really is different from every other guy.

Her world is turned upside down after a party, and her brothers' best friend Hunter is the one there to offer her a shoulder to cry on. The chemistry between them is electric, and feelings for each other that have been hidden for years are finally voiced.

Is Hunter willing to be disloyal to his best friends in order to be with the one girl he's always secretly wanted?

New Adult Contemporary Romance: Due to strong language, and sexual content, this book is not intended for readers under the age of 18.

My Review

I loved the premise of Trying Not to Love You when I first read the synopsis, so I went out right away and got my hands on a copy of the novel. I have to say, I don't think that I have ever been more disappointed with a book. I found myself struggling to stay interested in the book and had to force myself to continue to read it. I really don't like not finishing a novel if I can help it - it's some OCD-type thing that I have.

I just found the writing so bad. Like, I think we've all heard the phrase, Show, don't tell, when it come to writing, right? Well, sadly, I don't think Smith got the memo. It really breaks my heart when I come across novels like this, especially when it has a good storyline - that's what got me through to the end, otherwise this would've gone on my fairly non-existent could-not-finish pile. It was just annoying to read with wordy sentences that made no sense and lots of words wasted on redundant statements that basically rehashed the sentence before it.

I soldiered on because I feel a little bit in love with Hunter and Kenzie's brothers. That was one thing that Smith did right - the character development. She really created a caring and loving family for Kenzie, if not slightly overbearing. And of course I did rather enjoy the uber cute moments shared between Kenzie and Hunter. *Sighs*

The book ended on rather a tremendous cliff-hanger, that, I will be honest, did give me quite a shock and make me get the feels, and almost - almost - made me curious enough to pursue the second book in the Love series. But not quite, I don't think I could put myself through that.

Trying Not to Love You, is a book that had enormous potential, but seem to crack under the pressure and never reach it fully. Greatly disappointed with it and I am annoyed that I will not get those hour spent reading it back.


2 out of 5

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy reading,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 62 ) Adventure ( 3 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 42 ) Aussie Author ( 21 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 98 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 183 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 15 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 21 ) Contemporary ( 195 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 146 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 142 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 2 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 20 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 295 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 21 ) Hachette Australia ( 2 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 4 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 24 ) LGBTQ+ ( 6 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 47 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 4 ) Mythology ( 2 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 170 ) New Adult College Romance ( 2 ) Paranormal ( 56 ) Paranormal Romance ( 17 ) Playlist ( 4 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 113 ) Review Request ( 21 ) Romance ( 227 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 2 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 11 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 15 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Superheroes ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 11 ) Teaser ( 37 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 5 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 113 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )