26 May 2014

Review: Played by Liz Fichera


Played
Liz Fichera

Hooked #2

Coming May 27th 2014

Purchase: Amazon
This Game Is Getting All Too Real

He said: I like to keep under the radar and mostly hang out with my friends from the rez. But when I saved Riley Berenger from falling off a mountain, that rich suburban princess decided to try to save me.

She said: If I can help Sam Tracy win the heart of the girl he can't get over, I'll pay him back for helping me. I promised him I would, no matter what it takes.

My Review

I picked and read Played in one sitting. Honestly, it wasn't my intention. I just meant to read a couple of pages while I waited for some of my uni stuff to download - I had every I did plan studying... But what can I say? I got drawn in.

I was lucky enough to win an ARC copy from Liz Fichera, so HUGE thanks to her!

Poor ole Sam just can't seem to cut a break. The only girl that he has ever loved (Fred) is happily inlove with a guy that he detests. His book smarts make him an outsider amongst his community and family. To top it all off? He has the misfortune of saving the life of Fred's boyfriend's little sister, Riley, who decides to put her meddling skills into his love-life to repay him. Fichera sure knows how to keep things interesting - though I'm not so sure that Sam is as happy about that as us readers are!

Then there is Riley. She's a little on the messed up side, I suppose, going through that rebellious teenage stage that all parents dread. She annoyed me a little bit with the way that she uses Sam as her little play thing. Countless times, Sam goes along with her crazy schemes and helps her out, only to be left as the person hurt or in trouble. So not cool, Riley! I do see that she originally had her heart in the right place, but somehow lost herself along the way -sometimes you've got to break yourself good and proper before you can be fixed.

What I found interesting, was the Rez community, while always complaining about the discrimination pointed their way, turn right around and do it themselves. It seems as human beings, we can't help but notice differences in one another and judge. This is where Riley redeemed herself in my eyes. She didn't treat him differently because of where and how he lived.

Played is one of those stories that emphasizes on the notion that you don't realise what is right in front of you until it's gone and what you want, isn't necessarily what you need. Liz Fichera delivered another book that grabs you in its delightful vice grip and holds you captive. Played is definitely a novel I recommend.


4 out of 5

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy reading,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 48 ) Adventure ( 2 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 40 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 93 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 169 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 14 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 17 ) Contemporary ( 181 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 134 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 135 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 18 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 274 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 19 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 24 ) LGBTQ+ ( 5 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 46 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 3 ) Mythology ( 1 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 160 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 53 ) Paranormal Romance ( 16 ) Playlist ( 3 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 110 ) Review Request ( 21 ) Romance ( 201 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 2 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 10 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 15 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Superheroes ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 11 ) Teaser ( 32 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 5 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 106 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )