23 January 2015

Review: Between the Lives by Jessica Shirvington


Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington

Published May 1st 2013

Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide
Above all else, though I try not to think about it, I know which life I prefer. And every night when I Cinderella myself from one life to the next a very small, but definite, piece of me dies. The hardest part is that nothing about my situation has ever changed. There is no loophole.

Until now, that is...

For as long as she can remember, Sabine has lived two lives. Every 24 hours she Shifts to her ′other′ life - a life where she is exactly the same, but absolutely everything else is different: different family, different friends, different social expectations. In one life she has a sister, in the other she does not. In one life she′s a straight-A student with the perfect boyfriend, in the other she′s considered a reckless delinquent. Nothing about her situation has ever changed, until the day when she discovers a glitch: the arm she breaks in one life is perfectly fine in the other.

With this new knowledge, Sabine begins a series of increasingly risky experiments which bring her dangerously close to the life she′s always wanted... But just what - and who - is she really risking?

My Review

I bought a copy of Between the Lives way back in mid 2013 when it first came out here in Australia, but I had kept putting it off - dying to read it, but terrified of it at the same time. Why? Because I read and LOVED Shirvington's The Violet Eden Chapters (Or the Embrace series as it is known in the US) and was really worried that this book wouldn't live up to the high expectations I had - especially considering the stark contrast between the genres of the novels.

Oh, how little faith I had in Shirvington! I'm a little ashamed, to be honest, because, guess what? I loved it!

I finally ventured to start reading the book while I was at the beach with my friends. I became so engrossed in the novel that I didn't notice my shade moving and ended up getting absolutely roasted! My lily-white skin plus the Australian summer sun, does not a good couple make. Even though I look like a tomato right now and it stings like a b*tch to touch any part of my body - it was totally worth it!

Between the Lives did not turn out to be the story that I expected from reading the synopsis - which made the ride all the more enjoyable for me. I really felt for Sabine - she had gotten herself up sh*t creek without a paddle, but I got to see her grow and evolve as I devoured pages, and after some gut-wrenching turns near then end, I got to see her shine and become more comfortable in her own skin.

Then there is Ethan, and he just melted my heart. I could gush and tell you all the reasons why, but we'd be here too long, and I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise for you.

So if you haven't caught on by now, basically I'm saying: READ THE DAMN BOOK! It has a unique story that you don't often see, and once you start reading it, you won't want to put it down - I have the sunburn to prove it!


4 out of 5

PS. If you're living in the US (and possibly the UK - not entirely sure...) Between the Lives was published under a different title, One Past Midnight. I'm not sure why they keep doing this with Shirvington's books, but it is what it is, I guess.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy Blogging,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 31 ) Adventure ( 1 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 37 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 84 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 145 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 13 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 10 ) Contemporary ( 163 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 123 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 26 ) Excerpt ( 122 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 17 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 244 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 17 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 22 ) LGBTQ+ ( 3 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 45 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 3 ) Mythology ( 1 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 147 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 52 ) Paranormal Romance ( 16 ) Playlist ( 2 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 18 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 102 ) Review Request ( 19 ) Romance ( 167 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 1 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 9 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 13 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 6 ) Teaser ( 23 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 3 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 3 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 94 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )