24 January 2015

Review: Dating Trouble by Anna Katmore


Dating Trouble
Anna Katmore

Grover Beach Team #5

Published January 15th 2015

Purchase: Amazon | iBooks
Trouble has never looked so hot…

Sue wants Ethan, and Chris wants Sue.

Drawn to Ethan and intrigued by Chris, Susan Miller finds herself caught between identical twin brothers at her school. When both of them start wooing her at the same time, she only has to take her pick. Right? Wrong! Ethan is reluctant to kiss her, and Chris wants her for the completely wrong reasons.

Nothing like his obliging and sweet brother, Chris Donovan has trouble written all over him. He changes girls like other guys change t-shirts, and the next trophy on his little list is Susan. That’s the last thing she wants, yet she finds herself responding to all the goodnight texts and other cheeky messages Chris sends. The guy has a way of getting under her skin like no one ever has before.

How long will it be until Susan falls for his smooth charm and gets herself into more trouble than she can possibly handle? And where does that leave Ethan?

My Review

To say that I was excited for the release of Dating Trouble is an understatement. I bought and read the book the day that it came out - my binge reading at its worst. I think what had me most excited is that the novel is about Susan, the character I (and probably most other bookworms) related with most in the earlier books.

Dating Trouble is probably the longest of the Grover Beach Team series, being more a novel than a novella. This meant that you get more sweet and funny moments, which is always a good thing. Now that I think about it, as the series has progressed, the books have gotten longer and had more depth to them.

During one scene, I totally felt that Katmore missed a golden opportunity when Susan finally worked out that Ethan has a twin.
“To avoid another disaster, I stopped in my tracks, spun around, and walked back to the guys. Hunter was laughing, but Chris still had his eyes on me. I must have made quite the impression. Not a very good one, I was sure.

As I stood in front of him once more—and boy, the brothers did look incredibly alike—I fished a pen from my schoolbag and reached for Chris’s arm. Explaining myself wasn’t going to help me much, I supposed, so without a word, I shoved the sleeve of his white sweatshirt up to his elbow and pulled his forearm to me. Then I scribbled my number on him.”
Up until that last sentence, I really thought that she was going to write "CHRIS" on his arm so she could tell the brothers apart. I personally think that would've been hilarious, and if I'm being honest, something that I have done before ;) However, I do understand why she did it the way that she did, since it prompted a necessary scene later on.

There was really only two things that bothered me about this book. Susan never works out how to tell the twin apart. I know that they are identical twins, but I have known identical twins and there are always small physical differences between them. With the amount of time that she spent with the brothers, you'd think that she'd be able to tell them apart. I guess that's something she'll have to work on in the future...

The other is that it didn't seem to bother Chris that he was effectively trying to steal away his brother's (kinda) girlfriend. I mean, they shared a womb! And like most twins, are really close to one another. Even more strange, was Ethan didn't seem to care? I don't know, it confused me. Little niggles in the grand scheme of things, but niggles all the same.

Basically, I loved Dating Trouble, and it's probably my favourite of the series so far. It's sweet, witty, and funny as you would expect for the genre, plus also having a serious side plot. Now I just have to impatiently wait for the next installment to come out... I think that I read somewhere that the next one is Dating Trouble told from Chris's POV... I think I feel a squee building up in me.


4 out of 5

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy reading,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 48 ) Adventure ( 2 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 40 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 93 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 169 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 14 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 17 ) Contemporary ( 181 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 134 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 135 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 18 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 274 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 19 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 24 ) LGBTQ+ ( 5 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 46 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 3 ) Mythology ( 1 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 160 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 53 ) Paranormal Romance ( 16 ) Playlist ( 3 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 110 ) Review Request ( 21 ) Romance ( 201 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 2 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 10 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 15 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Superheroes ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 11 ) Teaser ( 32 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 5 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 106 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )