16 November 2015

The Problem with Discussing Books with Non-Readers . . .

Being an exchange student, I have many acquaintances, but only a few make the cut to friend (there's only so may backstories I can remember...).

So I saw one of these acquaintances the other day with his nose in a book between classes, and thought, "He's one of my people!" So naturally I left him to read in peace (duh) and waited until we had a class together to bring up the book he's reading and thus the ensuing in-depth love-hate book discussion.

I can hear you saying, 'But Renae, I thought this post was about Non-readers...'

Well. Here's the kicker.

He's not actually a big reader.

It takes him a whole year to read one book!

Sure, I applaud him for sticking to his guns and actually finishing the book, but I couldn't stop the the disappointed, "Oh," from slipping out. Which, of course, results in him asking how many books I read a year; and there is no good, non-braggy way at that point, to say that I read about 50...

So the search continues on for that person I can have heated conversations with about fictional people and places, that won't think I've escaped from a mental institution.

Does anyone else have the problem?
Maybe we can be kindred spirits?

2 comments :

  1. Awww. Sorry, but I had to laugh a bit too when you found out that he wasn't really a reader. I was able to convert my husband into a reader so now I have him to talk to about books. He is big on ebooks and now audiobooks too. He's read more books than I have this year. It wasn't easy converting him. I had to show him how to borrow ebooks and audiobooks. I even downloaded the apps on to his smartphone. I found him books to read. I do hope you find that book friend you're searching for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You laugh, but it may have crushed my soul just a little bit. :P
      It's good to hear that if all else fails, I might just be able to train one of these male creatures like you have if I can't find one already trained ;)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy Blogging,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 31 ) Adventure ( 1 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 37 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 84 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 145 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 13 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 10 ) Contemporary ( 163 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 123 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 26 ) Excerpt ( 122 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 17 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 244 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 17 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 22 ) LGBTQ+ ( 3 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 45 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 3 ) Mythology ( 1 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 147 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 52 ) Paranormal Romance ( 16 ) Playlist ( 2 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 18 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 102 ) Review Request ( 19 ) Romance ( 167 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 1 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 9 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 13 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 6 ) Teaser ( 23 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 3 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 3 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 94 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )