8 February 2016

Who Needs a Boyfriend When You Have Books and Disney?

In the chronicle saga that is me travelling across North America by myself, many a time I have fielded the question:

"Oh! How does your boyfriend/husband feel about that?"

To which I'm like, I'm sure he'd be fully supportive of me in my adventures if I had one.

Then, after a small bout of them feeling a little uncomfortable, the conversation usually heads into the direction of asking what I do in my down time. When I respond with 'reading,' I generally get an, "I see," and coupled with the pitying look in their eyes, and I can work out the rest of the unspoken sentence, 'that's why you don't have a boyfriend.'

It's at this point where my patience starts to wear thin, and my sass starts to come out.

But let me take you to a place where the person went that one step further.

I was talking to my friend's husband and the conversation had already covered the above topics and we're still talking because, well, friend's husband, and I'd moved on to sharing my love of Disney when he says to me:

"You know, maybe if you didn't spend so much time watching Disney movies and reading, you'd have a boyfriend."

. . . My inner sass monster came out to play at this point. Like, full on excuuuse me? mode with head wobble and finger snaps (well, not literally - I don't have the street cred to pull that off :P ). I mean, sounds like a pretty shit boyfriend to me if he doesn't like books or Disney. That's, like, two thirds of my personality!

It just really irks me that, at 21, social convention dictates that I should have a boyfriend and be totally up for the party-type scene. Well wanna know what I have to say to social convention?

Screw You!
I'm going to go curl up and watch a Disney movie while reading a book!

Peace out, Losers.

Please note: 'Losers' is me referring to the haters out there, not you lovely people!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy reading,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 47 ) Adventure ( 2 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 40 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 93 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 167 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 14 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 16 ) Contemporary ( 181 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 134 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 134 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 18 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 272 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 19 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 24 ) LGBTQ+ ( 5 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 46 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 3 ) Mythology ( 1 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 160 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 52 ) Paranormal Romance ( 16 ) Playlist ( 3 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 110 ) Review Request ( 21 ) Romance ( 200 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 2 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 10 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 15 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 11 ) Teaser ( 31 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 5 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 105 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )