21 July 2016

The Trepidation of Meeting Your Favourite Author

So, I was thinking about public figures and their fans. (A little random, I know.) I'm fairly sure I speak for a large chuck of society when I say that we build up an image of them in our heads, whether it's based on their work, interviews, what we have read about them on the internet and/or in magazines.

What got me thinking about this is, about two months back, I got the opportunity to meet one of my favourite authors at the Supernova convention in Queensland.

That author was Maria V. Snyder.

I was ecstatic when I read on her blog that she would be doing some conventions in Australia, and didn't even let it phase me when she wasn't coming to my city - I simply bought a plane ticket across the country - no way was I going to miss this.

It wasn't until the morning of the convention that the reality of meeting her actually hit me.

What if she's not a nice person?
What if her sense of humour is bad?
What if I don't like her and it effects my opinion of her books?
What if? What if? What if?!

Maria has been a favourite author of mine since 2009 and I have read everything she's ever published and loved them all. I was beside myself with anxiety worried that she wouldn't be the awesome person that I had built up in my head over the last 7 years.

So there I was, standing in line with my book and shirt for her to sign, by chance sandwiched between two other Renae's (of a different spelling) which didn't look suss at all.... But I digress. It finally got to my turn and She. Is. AWESOME.

I then went and sat in on a seminar she spoke at with some of the other authors there, discussing troupes that they think should be put to bed. And I came out only loving her more.

The whole experience was quite nerve racking, but in the end, it was totally worth it. What that saying? The greater the risk, the greater the return or something like that. It's a financial term - by no means my forte - but it definitely applies here.

Has This Ever Happened to You?
Who was it with and what was the outcome?

2 comments :

  1. Wow. I can't believe you flew that far. That's pretty awesome. I actually met my favorite author, Richelle Mead, at RT this past year and I was a complete mess. I first saw her in a panel and was fangirling in the back taking pictures (which my roommates found entertaining). Then the next morning was the signing where I actually got to meet her and she was so sweet and quiet that I'm sure my crazed excitement probably scared her. Even though she had a massive line, she still took a photo with me. Then later she was at another event at the convention and I asked for another photo (the first one didn't look so hot since the book fair was first thing in the morning) and she was nice enough to pose for a photo with me. Meeting her was the highlight of the entire convention for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I love it when people exceed expectations.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy Blogging,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 42 ) Adventure ( 1 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 38 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 88 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 156 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 13 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 15 ) Contemporary ( 170 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 129 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 131 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 17 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 259 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 18 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 23 ) LGBTQ+ ( 4 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 45 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 3 ) Mythology ( 1 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 154 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 52 ) Paranormal Romance ( 16 ) Playlist ( 2 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 103 ) Review Request ( 20 ) Romance ( 184 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 1 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 10 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 14 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 9 ) Teaser ( 28 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 3 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 96 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )