14 February 2017

5 Things that Bother Me About Valentine’s Day

So, if the title and the timing this post didn’t give it away, I’m going to be taking about Valentine’s Day. I just want to put it out there that I do not have, in anyway, anything against people who celebrate V-Day – you want to show your significant other that you love them? That’s great! I just don’t think that people should be giving singles a hard time about their relationship status, just because greeting card companies decided to exploit and cash in on peoples love lives.



I have been bombarded with mushy sentiments, flowers, and heart-shaped everything every time I leave the house, and I just needed somewhere to vent my frustrations about this ‘holiday’ in hopes in finding some comrades in arms. So, without further or due, my top 5 things that bother me about Valentine’s Day:

1. Cupid
….it’s a baby with wings and a bow and arrow. Really think about that. It seems like a safety hazard to me – for both the baby and everybody envolved. I really don’t see what is cute about that or how it is supposedly a symbol of love. I mean, sure, it’s the product of what happens if you forget to wrap it, but unless that’s something that you’re planning for, it’s more of a cautionary tale. Also, cartoon babies freak me out. They always have eyes that are too big for their heads… what’s up with that? *shivers*

2. Chocolate price hikes
This is stupid. It’s the same chocolate they sell the other 11 months of the year, just in a read heart-shaped box. *sighs* Just… why? Flip side though, February 15th is the best day to stock up your chocolate supply, because guess what? All that overpriced chocolate you bought yesterday is now ~60% off. *evil laughter and hand rubbing*

3. There are flowers everywhere
I think that the excess amount of flowers is the thing that I dislike most about V-Day. Not because I’m bitter that no one will be buying me any. Au contraire, mon frère, it is quite the opposite. You see, I am allergic to pollen. Like the whole 9-yards allergic to pollen; breaking out in hives, itchy-red watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing – you name a relevant symptom, I get it. So yeah, February is hell fun for me always looking like I’ve been balling my eyes out. Then there is the cost of these things. Dude, these things sprout out of the ground in your garden – basically for free! *shakes head* Then they die within a few days, anyways. I honestly just don’t understand the concept of flower giving...

4. The unnecessary pressure it puts on people
This goes for couples and singles alike. You see new couples pressured into showing an expression of love for someone they may have only met a week ago -you shouldn't have to rush your feelings to fit with a holiday. You see long time couples feeling the pressure to one-up themselves from the year before, which was a one-up from the year before that, and so on and so forth - the love you feel isn't equatable to how much money you spend. And you see singles get pitying looks for their relationship status and feel pressured into finding a date for this specific arbitrary day of the year - if being single is where you are at in your life, that is perfectly alright.

5. The word ‘wuv’ written on everything
'Wuv' is not a word. The word is LOVE. Period. I think my Grammar Nazi is showing, but I cringe every time I see it, or worse yet, hear someone say it. But Renae, you say. It’s meant to be cute. Well, I don’t think that there is anything cute about anyone older than a child that has an inability to pronounce a one syllable word correctly.



I know this list is just basically me bashing on V-Day, but there are some things that I like about it. Like, how much collective signs of affection you see around the world, happening on the same day. I think that’s beautiful. There should be more of it, more often - not just when social convention tells us too.

So this Valentine’s Day, whatever your plans may be, I just want to leave you with this:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being single.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being in a happy relationship either.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy Blogging,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 42 ) Adventure ( 1 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 38 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 88 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 156 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 13 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 15 ) Contemporary ( 170 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 129 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 131 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 17 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 259 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 18 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 23 ) LGBTQ+ ( 4 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 45 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 3 ) Mythology ( 1 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 154 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 52 ) Paranormal Romance ( 16 ) Playlist ( 2 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 103 ) Review Request ( 20 ) Romance ( 184 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 1 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 10 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 14 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 9 ) Teaser ( 28 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 3 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 96 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )