13 March 2017

Review: New York Nights by CJ Duggan


New York Nights
CJ Duggan

Heart of the City #2

Published February 1st 2017

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | iBooks | Kobo
Sarah Williams is a spirited, independent Aussie who has always dreamed of New York City. So when a job opportunity arises to become an au pair for a successful businessman in the heart of Manhattan, Sarah jumps at the chance to follow her dream.

What she didn't bet on was a beautiful newborn and a distant, abrasive man whose eyes hold a million anguished secrets. Determined to care for his daughter and face the challenges of the impossible Ben Worthington, Sarah was always prepared to follow her heart; she just wasn't prepared to lose it to a complicated man like Ben.

About the Author

Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Newsletter
CJ DUGGAN is the internationally bestselling author of over ten books. She lives with her husband in a rural border town of New South Wales. When she isn't writing books about swoony boys and 90s pop culture you will find her renovating her hundred-year-old Victorian homestead or annoying her local travel agent for a quote to escape the chaos.

My Review

*I was provide a copy of the book by Hachette Australia in exchange for my honest review*

Usually, I am a big fan of Duggan, however, New York Nights just doesn't sit right with me. Why? The main reason is that I never got the feeling that Ben has any real feelings for Sarah. Even during their one 'intimate' scene, he seemed too interested in himself and his internal demons to really connect with her. Then there is the whole thing where the span of the book takes place over only about 2 weeks, during which they barely saw each other. Lust I could've believed. But, love? Not so much.

For arguments sake, lets just take the romance between Sarah and Ben out of the equation. I actually quite like the plot. It has everything that I have come to expect from Duggan; great supporting characters, a little mystery, a feisty and  strong female lead, a hot love interest, witty dialog, and it even took me on a few twists that I didn't entirely see coming - which is always a nice surprise.

This is the second book in the Heart of the City series,  though I am failing to see how they connect. There are no character or setting overlap with Paris Lights, which is fine, but I don't entirely see why these novels are apart of a series if the only thing that they have in common is that the MC is an Australian in a foreign country...

New York Nights did not live up to my expectations after having read Paris Lights and many other works of Duggan. Maybe it was the accelerated time schedule for this series - 3 books written within 6 months - or it is just my lack of ability to connect with the characters, or something else entirely, I am left feeling underwhelmed.


2 out of 5

2 comments :

  1. Interesting review! I really enjoyed this book but I must admit, on reading your review, some of the same things did bug me. I guess I just enjoyed the storyline and being on New York in my head so much that I got lost in it. So you'd recommend the Paris one instead? I read them out of order...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I was a bit nit-picky with this review, but I am long time reader of Duggan and I just expected more from her.

      I would most definitely recommend Paris Lights, though. You can check out my review for my reasons why.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy reading,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 54 ) Adventure ( 3 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 40 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 94 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 175 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 14 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 19 ) Contemporary ( 187 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 141 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 138 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 19 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 282 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 21 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 24 ) LGBTQ+ ( 5 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 47 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 4 ) Mythology ( 2 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 166 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 54 ) Paranormal Romance ( 17 ) Playlist ( 4 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 110 ) Review Request ( 21 ) Romance ( 215 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 2 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 11 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 15 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Superheroes ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 11 ) Teaser ( 33 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 5 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 107 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )