31 May 2017

Review: Stage Kissed by Cassie Mae & Kelley Lynn


Stage Kissed
Cassie Mae & Kelley Lynn

Published May 30th 2017

Purchase: Amazon | B&N
Sixteen-year-old Kate knows how to juggle. From basketball practices to her shifts at Jamba Juice, Kate flies through her days wondering if she got a decent meal. When she lands a role in the school play, adding yet another task to her already full schedule, Kate starts fumbling through her routine, resorting to desperate measures to get the grades expected of her.

Co-worker and classmate Seth isn’t much of a juggler. Crowds and attention? Not his thing. So witnessing Kate’s ability to handle it all leaves Seth in awe. He could never do it. But then one of the leading actors in the play gets tonsillitis days before opening night, and Kate volunteers Seth to replace him. With his eidetic memory and killer dance moves, Seth’s the obvious choice—if it weren’t for his social anxiety.

With Seth’s growing—and unwanted—popularity and Kate spreading herself too thin, they start to wonder if their friendship will even last through the performances. But putting these two into a romance on stage has an effect neither of them could predict.

My Review

When a copy of Stage Kissed landed in my inbox, I was like, 'Hmmmm.... what is this?' Honestly, I'm not sure if I signed up to review it or if I was sent a copy because I have reviewed for Cassie Mae before in the past. No matter the how's and why's this gem ended up in my lap, I am just so incredibly glad that it did!

Kate and Seth's story is so incredibly cute! Loved every single second of it! I started reading this while I was waiting for a computer simulation to run, and I completely got lost in the novel and forgot to keep an eye on it - I was down the rabbit hole for so long, the university computer logged me off and I lost all my data! *shakes fist at computer* So, yeah. If you decide to start reading this baby (which, I HIGHLY recommend), make sure you are settled in and buckled-up for a beautiful journey of friendship - and maybe a little somethin'-somthin' more.

Kate and Seth, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!

*Cracks knuckles* Alrighty, lets start in the best place possible: with Seth. He has got to be one of the most adorable characters that I have read in a long, long time! I spent the whole book with a dopey grin on my face thanks to him, and now all the people on the bus and at uni think I'm nutter... worth it. He is a layered individual, with his social anxiety, eidetic memory, what must be a crazy high IQ, and, according to Kate (and I find it hard to disagree with her), good at everything. And what is Mr. Good-at-Everything good at, you ask? Well, there's math; dance, rhythm, musical instruments, robots, measurements, cash flow. Yep, Seth is exceptional at good ol' mathematics. To all those people who whine, 'why do we have to learn this when we'll never use it after high school.' Mathematics is the building blocks of life - trust me, I'm an engineer ;). I mean, sure, his eidetic memory and natural talent help - but math.

A couple of things that bothered me about Seth and all his godly math-ness: how-in-the bloody-hell does he have abs if he doesn't work out - like A LOT?! Do you know how much upkeep that shiz is?! I once achieved the unattainable heights of having abs - for like 2 weeks, then, I swear I'm not exaggerating, I ate a cookie and then, POOF! they were gone. So, yeah. I call BS on that one. Also, what happened to Dylan? He was there in the beginning, then he pulled a disappearing act (much like my abs)... not cool Seth. What happened to bros before hoes dicks before chicks first in first served (? ... it's harder than I thought to come up with something that isn't offensive).

Any-who, Kate. Man, I wish I was on top of shiz the way she is when I was in high school - hell, even now. I think it's inspiring how she has the motivation to do so many things every day of the week. She is definitely living her life to the fullest. She is a such an amazing person - there is no way of denying that. I mean, she makes a questionable choice or two, but then I remember that she's only 16(ish?). She treats everyone with such kindness no matter where they sit in the social hierarchy of high school - the way it should be. Sure, she needs to learn to say no sometimes, but she's always there for people when they need her.

...Annnnd I'm still going. *big breath in*

While there is so, so much to love about Stage Kissed, I think what I loved the most are the amazing underlying themes of the novel. It's okay to say 'no' - don't be a doormat and let people walk all over you. Sadly, this is a thing that Kate needed to learn the hard way - be she gets there, and that's what is important. And an all-time favourite of mine, if you truly care about someone, you make time for them. Always. It doesn't matter what kind of relationship it is; friend, significant other, family member, if they're important to you, you make them a priority.

I laughed. I cried. I went on a beautiful journey. If Stage Kissed isn't on your TBR pile, then it's your - major - loss. This collaboration between Cassie Mae and Kelley Lynn has got to be my favourite thing to happen to me in 2017.


5 out of 5

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy reading,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 62 ) Adventure ( 3 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 42 ) Aussie Author ( 21 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 98 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 183 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 15 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 21 ) Contemporary ( 195 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 146 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 142 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 2 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 20 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 295 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 21 ) Hachette Australia ( 2 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 4 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 24 ) LGBTQ+ ( 6 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 47 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 4 ) Mythology ( 2 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 170 ) New Adult College Romance ( 2 ) Paranormal ( 56 ) Paranormal Romance ( 17 ) Playlist ( 4 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 113 ) Review Request ( 21 ) Romance ( 227 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 2 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 11 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 15 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Superheroes ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 11 ) Teaser ( 37 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 5 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 113 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )